Why Sit-and-Go Poker Tournaments are Changing the Casino Industry

We are all aware that online poker tournaments have become extremely popular forms of entertainment for players of all ages. Not only do these platforms offer up a mixture of strategy and white-knuckle excitement, but the possibility of garnering an impressive jackpot is very real. There are numerous variant of poker currently available and one of the niche markets which has shown an impressive level of growth is associated with a form known as sit and go poker. What makes this version different than traditional games, what can players expect to enjoy and are there any tips that can come in handy? If you want to learn more about this type of poker strategy, this article should represent an invaluable resource.

What are Sit n Go Tournaments?

These competitions are often referred to by other names such as sit & go’s, single-table tournaments and STT games. Regardless of the terminology, they all share some factors in common. It can be argued that the most noticeable difference involves the time necessary to complete a game. While some tournaments can last for eight hours or more, the average sit-and-go competition will generally be completed in less than an hour. This is quite advantageous for those who have only a limited amount of time.

Another interesting quality of sit and go poker is that the schedules are very flexible. Normal poker games are associated with specific times of the day. This is obviously problematic in the event that you have a full-time job or other responsibilities. These poker tournaments can begin as soon as the correct number of players are present. In other words, it is likely that you will be able to find an open competition regardless of the time.

A Quick Look at the Payouts

The first thing to appreciate when referring to this type of poker is that payouts are provided in a graduated manner. There are two ways in which this can occur. In nine-handed sit-and-go, the top player will receive 50 per cent of the total pot. The next enjoys 30 per cent. The final competitor is provided with 20 per cent.

Another variant of sit-and-go poker involves six hands (as opposed to the nine mentioned above). In this situation, only the two top players are awarded. First place is associated with 65 per cent of the pot and second place is rewarded with the remaining 35 per cent. We should point out that these statistics may vary slightly from provider to provider. This is why it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully before registering with a specific website.

Sit and Go Poker Strategy: What You Need to Know

Sit and go poker tournaments are predominantly defined by their comparatively low blinds. This is why the majority of experts recommend that you play tight hands during the opening stages. This will provide players with more leeway until the blinds grow larger and the size of the stack decreases. All-in bets should only take place once (roughly) ten big blinds have been witnessed. To put this another way, the levels of aggression must increase as the game progresses.

Another interesting tool that has been leveraged by countless players involves a concept known as independent chip modelling (ICM). This is essentially an electronic algorithm intended to predict the chances of winning a given hand through a risk-versus-reward evaluation. However, this sit and go poker strategy is generally not employed until all players are in the money. Keep in mind that some of these calculations can be rather complex, so it is always a good idea to study the possible outcomes in advance.

The Psychological Factor

This poker tournament is a fast-paced variant of more traditional games. So, players need to take into account factors such as endurance and longevity. Playing more than one round at any given time is not recommended; it is nearly impossible to keep track of numerous hands. As with any version of poker, sit-and-go should never be played by those who are tired, stressed or otherwise distracted from the event itself. Such mistakes can lead to hefty losses within short periods of time.

Sit and go poker strategy is not entirely different than mainstream tournaments and yet, the fluid gameplay has proven to be attractive to countless competitors. This article is meant to provide a basic outline of what the game entails as well as how you can maximise your returns with time and experience.